Translate

Anime Thoughts: Yaiba/Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba

I forgot to type my thoughts on this anime after I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I might've forgot some parts, but I won't spoil the rest. I'll do my best to remember what happens. 

Kenyuu Densetsu Yaiba, or just Yaiba, is a series created by Detective Conan's creator, Gosho Aoyama. And I knew this because as soon as I started watching the series, I was like, that art style looks a bit familiar, mostly the eye design. I found out about this anime through the Game Boy gam I watched someone play. The GB game, however, covers a different arc though and that arc hasn't been animated, but the artwork looks like there is an anime adaption of the arc.


The shows opening and ending themes are performed by Kabuki Rocks, who also did an ending song of my favorite anime series of all time: “Dragon Quest: Abel Yuusha Densetsu or Legend of the Hero Abel”.

Here's the story from its Wikipedia page:

"Yaiba Kurogane is an adventuring boy who knows how to be a samurai and little else. Yaiba lives with his father, Kenjurou, in the forest. One day, while Yaiba was eating, a troop of gorillas came to attack. Yaiba and his father escaped and hid inside a box, but they did not know that the box was full of pineapples and was going to be transported into the city. In the city, Yaiba finds out that he is a legendary warrior and has to fight the evil of a demonic looking high-school student named Takeshi Onimaru.

The people that Yaiba meets along his journey to become a true samurai encourage him, train him, or inspire him to greatness, though at heart he is still a child, and his incredible skill with a sword is matched only by his kindness towards his friends. Though he tends to leap before he looks, and his thick-headedness tends to turn potential allies into enemies, his friends soon clobber him, and salvage the situation. This unlikely group embarks on a host of incredible adventures where they meet legendary figures from Japanese history, and finally overcome impossible odds, and put everything on the line, to save the entire planet from a threat not of this world."

You have Yaiba, your main protagonist (based on his personality, he reminds me a lot of Kid Goku and a bit of Dai from Dai no Daibouken), Seyaka, the love interest, Onimaru, who is a main villain of the series (he looks a bit like Tien of the Dragon Ball series, but his personality reminds me of a bit like Vegeta's later on in the series), and so many other characters that I'm a bit too lazy to name. But I know that Yaiba has a tiger and vulture friend.

The series is amazing and it's funny in some parts, mostly with the character Kojiro. All Kojiro cares about is women and he's more of a running gag character of the series. Another thing I can remember about Kojiro is that he has an extending sword (think of Kid Goku's Power Pole) that can go really, really, far. Another character who shows up later on in the anime is Jubei Yagyu, and when he gets drunk, he turns into a werewolf and when he is knocked out, he reverts back to normal.

Throughout the series, they have to look for 7 Elements (?; if I'm right, 7 elements = 7 Dragon Balls - okay, I got to stop it with the Dragon Ball comparisons lol) which can be used for Yaiba's sword.

I also heard that Yaiba himself appeared in a crossover with Conan. In the series last episode, Detective Conan makes a cameo on the television screen.

Overall, I think this is much I have to say about this anime. I highly suggest you watch it and check it out, as I won't spoil the rest. I have a love for finding old anime and currently I am watching City Hunter and waiting on new subbed episodes of Dr. Slump. If you have any old anime or movie you want me to check out, please let me know in the comments below. I already have some I added to my watchlist such as Zenki, Ghost Sweeper Mikami, Lupin, etc.


Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.