Translate

Interactive Veemon Alarm Clock: A Cool Digimon Plush!

 I remember somewhere around 2016 or 17, I was browsing on the internet and searched "Digimon Alarm Clock". And then, I stumbled apon this thing: a Veemon alarm clock. 

I kept asking my mom I want it for Christmas, but she was like, "no". Every year, I kept asking my parents I really wanted one but finally in 2020, I bought one for myself, in used condition for about $60. I was excited to have one of my own while binge watching every Digimon season for the first time (I believe I was watching 02) and he finally came.

So I will try to cover thing in full on this blog. I did make a video on it last year, but I want to go into good detail. 

Before I do, if you're planning on buying one, they tend to cost $100 or more on eBay (or Mercari). You might be lucky to find one for less, but always check the condition on it. 

(as of writing this, there are 2 available on Mercari and 2 on eBay; it's hard to find a good working one!)

Sometimes, the plush's eyes will have a hard time switching due to parts being old (this plush was released in 2000). A Digimon Merch wiki explains the conditions, which I will link here: https://digimon-merch.fandom.com/wiki/Interactive_Veemon_Plush

The plush is loud too and can look a bit creepy (it's not creepy to me but it gives me Furby vibes; I'm guessing Bandai wanted to compete with them) and it's heavy and not huggable.

Plush Features

The plush requires 4AA batteries and 3 LR44 batteries. I suggest you save the batteries up cause after months of use, you will have to change them. You do need to set everything up again.

When turning the plush on, it will start moving its ears and eyes and greet you by saying: "Thank you for adopting me! It's nice to meet you!". 

Sorry to disappoint ya, but this isn't Veemon's actual VA from the anime. They just hired some random kid and wanted him to do the voice.
Icons:
  • 1,2,3, and 4: This is the calendar. You can set up to 4 events.
  • Clock (below 1): Set alarm.
  • Bed (next to clock): Set bedtime.
  • Tape Recorder (not shown): Record your voice.
  • Horn with line crossed on it (not shown): Veemon is muted.
  • Sun (hard to see in the above image): Keep tracks of Daylight Savings.
  • Christmas Tree: I don't know what this does, but I think it keeps track of Christmas?
  • Egg: Same as above, except I think it tracks Easter.
  • Battery with line crossed on it (not shown): Batteries need to be changed.
On the D-3, you can open it to reveal four extra buttons: Time, Data, DST, and Mute.
  • Time: Set the time, year, and date. Every time you press this, he will always introduce himself to you but you can skip this by pressing the buttons on the D-3.
  • Data: Set the birthday and record your name.
  • DST: I'm not sure what this is, but I think it has to do with turning on/off tracking daylight savings time (a icon of a sun), easter (an egg icon), and Christmas (icon of a tree).
  • Mute: Mutes Veemon. Really helpful because he does go off every 5 minutes if not using and his motor is loud.
There are main buttons on the D-3: 2 black buttons and 2 white arrow buttons on the bottom. The top black button selects, the bottom one goes back/cancels. For the two white arrows, when pressed, a black line appears on screen or while changing the time/date, you can use these buttons. On the top of the screen, you can set up to 4 events, like a calendar. When picked, Veemon will ask you to set the date of the event and record the name. So when the date hits and he wakes up (if alarm is set) or if you press his right hand, he will tell you the event. If you press the clock icon, you can set an alarm, however if you press the cancel button, then the icon disappears. Same with the bed icon: you can set your bedtime and you can turn it off. The "R" button lets you record but only for setting up events and saying your name: you just have to press and hold it (there is a small mic on the right side of the D-3).

When bedtime hits, he will remind you to brush your teeth or get in your PJs. This thing was most likely aimed at young kids, lol. And when it's time, he will say something random and go to sleep (followed by a snoring sound; you can still press his hands if he's not on mute so that he can tell you the date or time and then he will go back to sleep). When the alarm goes off, he will wake up, and say today's date. When you turn that off, he will still tell you to eat breakfast and brush your teeth.

Speaking of hands, I forgot to mention, if you press his left hand, he says the current time and pressing the right has him saying the date to you then he will say a random quote.

He also knows special days such as New Year's, Christmas, and more. If your birthday hits, he will sing "Happy Birthday" to you.

Veemon, when picked up, will go off and start saying random (depends on the time: if it's 11pm for example he will say this: "Why is it late? Time for you to go to sleep." (even though if you don't have the bedtime set, he will go to sleep himself without telling you at 10pm or so.)). There is also a light sensor on the D-3 for some reason and he will do the same thing as picking him up.

(don’t worry Celebi and Pikachu. I will cover you in a future post)

Veemon's eyes can switch between normal and ^_^. Really cute, but my Veemon sometimes won't switch between these cause of the bad motor inside. There's supposed to be fangs on his mouth but because of the poor felt glue, it's not there (same with a couple of Veemons that are sold on eBay).

The Digimon Merch wiki said this thing has mini games, but I don't think I found mini games in this thing. Unless the instructions (which I don't have) says you can.

Let me know if you have a PDF of instructions for this thing.

My thoughts and is it worth it?

Even though the plush is old, it's worth it! I was in a Digimon Discord server and shared this thing and some one said "Five Nights at Veemon's". Some people on Reddit (I never posted this plush on Reddit) even said its kinda creepy looking, and someone else said they keep it off. I made a couple of Tumblr posts on it before. But if you're not creeped out by it, then I suggest you good luck finding one on eBay, as they are rare! Good luck to the Digimon plush collectors out there. I tried digging deep to see if there were any commercials on this plush, but found none.

I'm still happy to own one. Also, on an archive on the Digimon website, Bandai might've planned more (says Digi-Pals) but only made Veemon. Someone on Reddit said they should've made a Hawkmon one, and I have to agree.
(Champion Digimon? Veemon is a Rookie level. And I haven't heard my plush speak phrases from the show...) 

My Video + Transcript

I'm gonna post this video in case YouTube deletes my channel (I'm paranoid about my channel being deleted even though I haven't done anything bad). I apologize if my voice isn't loud enough, so I will try my best to transcript it below. This video was recorded and uploaded on my channel last year, just letting you know. There will be a lot of repeating and stuttering in this vid. Underline and bold means my commentary on the video.


Me: Hello everyone, wimbearn here, again (reason why I said again is because I uploaded 2 videos on the same day). Back at it again with another video. Now, not that many people have been talking about this rare Digimon plush, except for two people, except one person, um, I think their channel name is called Occupied Space, they only did a trailer teasing they'll do it, probably later this year, but I don't think they'll might get to it, I don't know. And there's also another person who covered this clock, forgot their name (their name is Lost in Translationmon - Digimon Podcast), but I'll probably be the first person to cover it in full. This...

(lifts iPad camera up, camera makes noises and shows the top of the Veemon clock)

Me: ...is the Veemon alarm clock. I got this last year on eBay, used condition, as you can tell by the mark. The D-3 acts as a clock. By the time I turn this on, its gonna be loud *quiet laughter*. And there's also a sensor, light sensor right here, and if I wave over that it will go off. Its why I put it on mute which is helpful. Before I turn it on, this is the record button. This is where you record audio... controls, a, b... I think.... I don't have instructions with it. Time, data... time is where you just set time... I think, we'll see when we turn it on. Data, is just your birth and all that. Daylight Savings Time, and mute, which is, which is gonna be helpful. 

(closes D-3 cover)

Me: So let's turn it on...

(loud mechanical sounds, followed by a clicking noise (Veemon's eyes changing))

Veemon: Thank you for adopting me! It's nice to meet you!

(more mechanical sounds)

Me: Alright, so, we have... also when I pick him up he will go off. But, uh...

(I struggle to get the D-3 cover open)

Me: ...there are also these buttons on Veemon's hands. This is- I think this is time?

Veemon: 12:00 PM. 

(loud mechanical sounds)

Veemon: (unintelligible) very hungry for lunch.

Me: *laugh* And depending on the time, he says something different. This is the date.

Veemon: Today is Friday, November 17th.

Me (talking over): It's actually not November 17th.

Veemon: Happy Digimon Day! (I tried looking this date up and Digimon Day doesn’t seem to exist???) And today is... your birthday! 

Me: No it's not.

Veemon: *sings a tiny snippet of "Happy Birthday"  but stops after I press a button on the D-3*

Me: It's not my birthday. Okay, (unintelligible) set the time. I'm just gonna... I don't know what time it is. But uh... ugh, it's so hard to press that button. Well, there's a time button on the D-3-

Veemon: Hello!

Me: Yes, I know your name is Veemon. But uh, what time is it currently? Oh, if you take too long it'll just go back. 12... let's pretend it's not 12:00. I don't know, I'll just say something like... I'm gonna turn him off after this video. I'm just gonna say its 1:05 PM.

Veemon: 1:05 PM! Please set the year. 

Me: It is 2021. 

Veemon: Please set today's date. 

Me: Okay, so... today is... is July 30th. (it's a bit unintelligible cause of the loud mechanical sounds)

Veemon: Friday, July 30th!

Me: And data. Which is you set up your stuff and all that.

Veemon: Please set the date of your birthday.

Me: Dang that motor is loud. But every time you have to turn him off too because the batteries run quick. [pause] That's my birthday.

Veemon: Please say your name while pressing record.

Me: I'm not gonna say my actual name, so... let me do this. (into the mic) wimbearn.

Veemon: August 26th. 

Me: Uh, okay let me try this again. It didn't capture it?

Veemon: Please set the date of your birthday. Please say your name while pressing record. 

Me: Let's try this again. Put my camera to the side. (into the mic) wimbearn.

Veemon: August 26th. *my voice played back* wimbearn. *normal* Your birthday.

Me: Yep. But every time the batteries die, you have to change it and set this up all again. So DST, Daylight Savings Time. You see this Christmas tree down here (well you can't see it because of the vid's quality)? Um, and, I think something about, when it hits Christmas, I think Veemon says something different. This egg right here is something for Easter, um... I know Easter passed and when I had this on, and I... aaannd yeah I don't know how this thing works. If you guys have instructions, please, please make a PDF or something (as of 2022, I still have no comments on that video on YouTube, but if you have instructions, comment below), like if you have instructions for this Veemon clock... because I definitely need some instructions or help, and there's not any instructions online for this thing. Like, if you have kept clear instructions of this Veemon clock, please make a PDF or something. Cause I need, I think I might be missing something. I have this all figured out, I know how it works when I first bought it. Did you know if you press the A and B buttons on the D-3, it shows you the year and today's date. You can also set events, so let me move my camera down a bit. 

(camera sounds)

Me: Also, Veemon goes off every five minutes or so. And after those five minutes, you wait an hour and five minutes (I want to add, after when it hits an hour and five minutes, I think, Veemon goes off and after a while he stays quiet unless you pick him up or do something). You see this button- you see this line right here? You can... this is the alarm.

Veemon: Please set your wake up time.

Me: So 6:00 AM. You can also turn this off. And your bedtime.

Veemon: Please set your bedtime.

Me: You can also turn that off. I think Veemon automatically goes to sleep if you don't have these (?) set. So these... this- you see these lines up here that I'm highlighting on? This is the calendar. So if you click one of these...

Veemon: Please set event date. 

Me: ...you can set an event. Say, November 1st.

Veemon: Please say your name of your special event while pressing record. 

Me: I don't know. (into the mic) Special event. I don't know.

Veemon: November 1st. *my voice plays back* Special event.

Me: *quiet laugh* When you run out off stuff. But if you have it set for like today...

Veemon: Please se- *cuts off halfway after I press a button on the D-3*

Me: (unintelligible) like, something like today, this is what Veemon will say instead.

Veemon: Please say your name of your special event while pressing record. 

Me:  (into the mic) Special event. *laugh* When you don't know what to say. 

Veemon: July 30th. *my voice plays back* Special event.

Me: And then if you do something like this, I'm gonna squeeze the date button on Veemon's hand...

Veemon: Today is Friday, July 30th. And today is... *my voice played back* special event. *normal* Hello!

Me: Also, yeah. But also, you can pick Veemon up and-

(loud mechanical sounds, however the mechanisms get stuck while attempting to change eyes and it makes a loud sound that sounds like a car driving. I press the button on the D-3 to stop it)

Me:  (unintelligible) 

(loud mechanisms again but gets stuck a second time)

Me: Stop! Stop stop stop. Yeah, sometimes-

Veemon: Hey! What's up? What have you been doing? *my voice played back* wimbearn.

Me: *laughing* I forgot he repeats the name. But, sometimes on my Veemon the eyeballs don't function. What you saw earlier was like this smiley expression when I turned it on. Sometimes it doesn't function. There is a wiki for this thing, there's like a wiki entry for this thing (referencing the Digimon Merch wiki) and it talked about, you know conditions. You can also see that this plastic ring round thing around Veemon, um is like broken and does come off. I might find a way to keep it on there. So...

(loud mechanisms get stuck; I press the button on the D-3 to stop it)

Me: (unintelligible) 

Veemon: I've been just hanging around waiting for you to play with me. *my voice played back* wimbearn.

Me: *snickers* Hearing my name just being repeated is just hilarious. But there is a light sensor on the D-3. Where's my phone at? I have my flashlight. But if you wave around it, Veemon does go off. 

Veemon: Yaaaaayyyy!

(loud mechanisms get stuck and grows louder)

Me: As you can see, his eyes are supposed to change. It's not supposed to be like that. But this Veemon does catch me off guard every time I try to pick it up or you know, the light sensor. I don't know why it needs a light sensor. But... yeah, that's the Veemon clock, I'm gonna turn him off. 

Veemon: Hello!

Me: *grunting*

Veemon: *laughs, but the rest of the laughing gets cut off after I turn him off*

Me: (unintelligible)  turn him off. There. But that's the Veemon clock. Gives me Furby vibes. Yeah. Let me know what you think in the comments about this thing. Probably won't use him as much, I don't want to drain the battery off him. (unintelligible) came out of 2000 (unintelligible). Yeah, there's the front, that's the back, side. Such a rare plush, hard to find on eBay, most might cost a lot of money. And here's the battery compartment. There's also a reset button. I wish there was a way to cover this battery compartment up. But, yeah. That's the uh, Veemon clock. Not that many people had talked about it. I might be missing some stuff, but if you, like I said if you have instructions of this thing, please let me know. I might be missing some stuff. And um... um... I have no idea on what I'm gonna say here. I could be missing a lot of stuff, please make a PDF of the instructions if you still- if you have any. Maybe not, but still. Anyways, that's it. See ya. 

(video ends)
















Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.