Translate

Art Advice from wimbearn!

 So, I had an idea on what to write for this blog. I want to give out some art advice to some new artists out there. While it's not the best and I've never given advice that much, I'll try my best to write it out.

1. Don't just draw fanart; try something original!

I have my own original characters, which sadly I can't share yet because I want to protect them by copyright. But I have shared some original art before such as this drawing below:

But I haven't done a lot of original art, as I've been drawing so much fanart. I want to slow down from it and try to do more original art. A lot of artist have OCs or original characters, some for a franchise like Dragon Ball or Pokémon. I have my own OC, Aiza, who is based off of me!

I do need to update her reference sheet, but I'll stick with what I have for now.

Try to draw some original art! Maybe think up of your own characters, world, and more like I'm doing (like I said, I can't share them until I get them protected by copyright).

2. Traditional Artist? Try out a bit of digital art.

I've started drawing in 2017 and began digital art around 18? I used a software called Corel Painter Essentials 5 and I wasn't used to it, so I switched back to drawing on paper. 

But I wanted to draw more digitally and enjoyed it more than drawing on paper. I then switched to Photoshop and near the end of 2020, I switched to Procreate, which is an app I draw in to this day.

I highly recommend Procreate if you have an iPad. Forgot how much it costs, but it's worth the price. Sadly, there's no Android version of the app.

3. Keep Practicing!


I know it's a most commonly said thing, but keep practicing with areas you struggle with such as anatomy or hands *shivers*. 

Hands, muscles, feet, side and back views are my weakness currently. But I know that I'm slowly improving. I mostly draw girl characters, but I'm leaning towards the guys. 

You can also look up some tips on social media or try Pinterest (that site is full of stolen images but it's worth it for reference).

4. Don't draw the same character.

It's just my opinion, but back in 2020, I used to commonly draw a Dragon Ball character named Launch a lot. I've slowed down now with drawing her last year because I knew my followers might get tired of it. I shifted away from drawing her this year to focus on doing other art.

So try not to draw too much of the same character. Try drawing diffrent characters of the same franchise or do some original art. If you keep drawing the same character, you might lose some people. Just saying. I just don't want to be mean or harsh. If you don't like #4, keep drawing the same character and people will love your talents, I guess. 

5. Interact with other people on social media: maybe they'll check out your content!

I follow a lot of people on Instagram and Twitter, and I do love seeing people's fanart and commenting on them. While I stopped checking my  Twitter timeline cause of drama and spoilery stuff for video games and all that (I only check notifs now),  I still check Instagram to see other's art. I love to comment and if the person you follow likes your content, chances are they'll follow you back. So don't be left out in the dust. Comment on other's art. But please, please don't promote your profile or DM them and force them to out your profile. You may get blocked. 

6. Try joining Discord and share your works.


Discord can be a great place to get your art out there for others to see. There are a couple of art servers, some with a lot of people. It can be hard for your art to be noticed. I have left a couple of Discord servers cause... it was just hard to get my art seen. But I would never give up. I continued to make art and continued posting. As long as you don't spam, there's a chance you will get seen.


7. Don't compare your works to others. 

I have done this in the past... every time I scroll on Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr or check my DeviantArt, I always see other people's talented art with a lot of likes. It made me depressed and sad and when I look at my own art, I always say, "it's just not that good". I then take my time off of social media to focus on my own stuff.  I also remember making an Insta post last year explaining on how I'm feeling mentally and that I will be taking a hiatus from social media. Because my mom follows me, she talked to me telling me what was going on and how I was feeling.

I have gotten over it, but there will be times where I feel depressed. As a matter of fact, my friend told me "all Twitter does is makes people sad" and I have to agree with him. Twitter can be a bad site filled with drama and people just making you mad (which is why I barely use the site now).

Don't compare your art to others and compliment their works. Don't look at their high like count/comment count, or get angry at them. Appreciate that they have talent. 

8. Use tags.

Always use relevant tags that related to your artwork or fanart. There might be stuff and videos online already on that, but the more tags, the high chance you can get your works seen. Here's a website you can check out here: 

9. Do more Instagram reels/Tik Tok videos.


If you're confused on the "Instagram Reels" thing, Instagram last year did a thing where you can share 15 or 30 second videos (60 is an option, but I don't have that). They're basically competing with Tik Tok. For my reels, I screen record my drawing on the Procreate app and edit my video in an app called CapCut. Sometimes, I might add a process which shows how the drawing was made.

My reels have been getting more of a reach. One of them even was on Instagram's Explore page according to someone who saw my reel.

So try to showcase your drawings or do challenges. An artist I follow on Instagram has amazing art you should check out and do check out her reels: https://www.instagram.com/lulu.artworks/. If you don't have an Instagram but have a Tik Tok, do share your art process there.


10. Never give up! ^_^


You got this. You are strong. God blessed you with this amazing talent. You are talented and I want to say, go out there and share your works on social media (if you don't have one, share it with the public or make one). 

Well, that's all the advice I can give. It's not the best and I tried. If this article has helped and you share it on social media, thank you. It helps out a lot.

And if you like my works, you can donate or commission me on Ko-fi, as that helps me as a small artist: https://ko-fi.com/wimbearn

If you haven't seen my works, go check me out on social media. It will be in the "About Me" page of this blog. 

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful time,

-wimbearn 💖

Oh, and by the way, please DON'T TRACE OR STEAL PEOPLE'S ART.

Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.