Finally reacting to all of the Mega Evolution designs revealed in Legends Z-A.

Ah, Pokémon Legends Z-A. I never really cared about this game.

I had stopped caring about the newer Pokémon games after Scarlet and Violet because I had vented about it in a WordPress post before, but to keep things short if you don't want to read since it's only for my subscribers only, the reason I had stopped caring is because: 

  1. Scarlet and Violet had a shiny Koraidon/Miradon gift event at GameStop, however, that event turned out disastrous because it was on the same day as a release from the trading card game, leading to the event cards being sold out and being resold on eBay despite being the cards being free. They would do it again but the codes were printed on a receipt and those were in limited numbers. I did get my code via someone on Twitter/X.
  2. Before the game even came out, Nintendo decided to announce DLC before the game even comes out and also, the Kalos starter Mega's are LOCKED behind ranked battles. Meaning, you would have to have a Nintendo Switch Online subscription to participate and get the stones. And I hate anything ranked. If you have the Switch 2 (which I don't), it would cost you around $100 for both the game and DLC.
I swear, anytime you see anything Pokémon related, it's usually negative. But, I still like Pokémon even though I no longer play the new games. Another reason for me not caring about Z-A is because it's another Legends game, similar to Legends Arceus. I couldn't even get far into Legends Arceus because it felt so different (which is cool that Game Freak did something new with the franchise) from the mainline games; the fact that you can "die" or blackout in this game and lose items and also some Pokémon attack you made me quit playing. Oh, and I heard that Paras and Parasect are the worst Pokémon to encounter in this game.

After Z-A came out, I avoided looking at the newer Mega designs that hadn't been revealed online and YouTube (and possibly any leaks before that)... basically a spoiler fest for months (including the TCG).

Until, now. That's right, in this blog post, I am going to react to all of the Mega Evolution designs that were revealed in Legends Z-A (including the ones I had already seen before the game came out) and give my thoughts on their design and shiny variant, and also give a rating. I will be looking at Bulbapedia's page for Mega Evolution, so I am going in Pokédex order.

Starting with...

Mega Clefable

Wow, Clefable has a Mega design. Okay, cool! But... I have have mixed feelings about it. I do like the wings. But the body. It's the head for me. Bulbapedia is saying that its "transformed curl resembles a beret or a crown", but all I see to me is old woman hair, lol. I do see the beret design, though. The design for its ears... it's alright. Let's look at its shiny...

...they didn't even try. The only thing that's changed are its ears and body. I was hoping the wings would be different but nope.

Rating: 3.9/5.

Mega Victreebel

When Victreebel's Mega was revealed, I immediately didn't like it. Since Bellsprout was my very first shiny caught in Pokemon X, and as soon as I evolved it, I didn't like shiny Victreebel, but I suddenly warmed up to it when I played with it in Pokémon Amie. This.., this hideous design ruined Victreebel for me. It's the giant mouth and body for me. It looks like a Mario enemy.

Taking a look at it's shiny...


It's about the same. Looks like a giant pear now. The only thing I like are the leaves. That's it.

Sorry for sounding so harsh towards Mega Victreebel... if you like it, that's fine with me. But sorry, my rating for this design is going to be a 1.3/5.

Mega Starmie

Someone at Game Freak: Okay, Starmie. It's time this Pokémon has a Mega design. How can we desi-
A random employee: Make it taller.
Someone at Game Freak: Yeah!

Oh my god. This is the worst Mega design I've ever seen. This looks like a meme, like someone made this up as a sh**post but, no. It's official. This feels mad disrespectful to Starmie. What were they thinking???

I swear, these designs get worse and worse as I scroll, huh. The fan designs I've seen online before Legends Z-A was a thing look better than this. This design here? Doesn't feel like a Mega.

So according to Bulbapedia:
Mega Starmie may also reference the 1956 film Warning from Space, in which one of the starfish-like Pairan aliens assumes a human form to communicate, much like Mega Starmie. Its humanoid appearance may also be a visual pun on 人手 hitode (starfish), which can be translated as "human hand". The two longer arms it uses as legs could also reference the regenerative qualities of real starfish, which can lose arms and later regrow them, with the new arms starting out smaller before gradually matching the size of the others.

So, this design could be based off some 50's film I've never even heard off (and also fitting because Starmie is a Water-Psychic). Maybe someone in Japan likes Mega Starmie, but I'm sorry, I don't, right after Mega Victreebel. 

Oh, and while looking around in Bulbapedia for its Pokédex entry... I saw that it has a design for the new anime (Horizons), which I haven't really seen at all, but man, looking at it's artwork.... to me, it feels cursed, especially seeing the artwork on the bottom left.

Let's look at it's shiny.


The only thing that's different is the jewel design. I think the blue looks cool, but still, I don't like this mega at all.

Rating: 1.1/5

Mega Dragonite

I have mixed feelings about Mega Dragonite. One one hand, it's cute and I want to hug it. On the other, the wings on top of it's head might be my least favorite thing of this design and it makes it feel goofy, and also, why are the back wings smaller now. If they moved the top wings to the back, I guess that would make it better???

Apparently, the reason for the top wings (and the orb) is because it's borrowing elements from it's pre-evolution, Dragonair.

It's cool that Dragonite finally has a Mega Evolution. Good for it! I think I'm fine with it's design, but still, I have mixed feelings about it.

Let's look at it's shiny:
Wow, not too bad! It matches Dratini and Dragonair. Really cool shiny and much better than regular shiny Dragonite. Too bad I accidentally got spoiled by the description under Dragonite's origins by accident before I saw what it shiny looks like:
Its Shiny coloration also resembles Dragonair's standard colors.

Overall, I rate this mega 4/5. I think the shiny variant made me like the design a little more.


Mega Meganium

We're into the Johto Megas now. Starting with Meganium. I think the reason they chose Chikorita to be a starter in this game is because Meganium literally has the word "Mega" in its name. Okay, I'm joking.

I think it's alright. I like the bottom part (the dark green). The flowers around its neck... maybe a bit too much. Looks like it's choking, lol. Again, kidding. According to its Pokédex entry, the reason for the four flowers is because it uses them to fire a powerful solar beam. I don't have much to say, but let's take a look at it's shiny:
I don't have much to say about its shiny. Just looks like a normal shiny Meganium. 

I mean, it's alright. Rating: 4/5.

Mega Feraligatr
You call this a Water-Dragon type? Where's the Dragon part of this design? And what is that in the back? Oh, they did Feraligatr dirty. 



You know what the back of Feraligatr supposed to be? This.


Yeah. :/. It's supposed to be Totodile's head. Also it's supposed to be a fin according to its Pokédex entry:
With its arms and hoodlike fin, this Pokémon forms a gigantic set of jaws with a bite 10 times as powerful as Mega Feraligatr's actual jaws.

To me, it's very distracting...

Let's take a look at it's shiny:


Just a normal, regular shiny Feraligatr. Yeah.

Okay, so the reason for the Dragon typing according to its origin:

Together with Mega Feraligatr's secondary Dragon-type, its Totodile mask gimmick may also be a reference to Regidrago and its ability to similarly transform into a dragon head, with its ability of Dragonize being similar to Regidrago's signature ability, Dragon's Maw.

Did they run out of ideas? So, we're basically referencing a legendary Pokémon that can do the exact same thing... *sigh* 

Rating: 2.5/5

Mega Skarmory


Of course, Skarmory get a Mega Evolution. 

This design is actually not that bad! I really like it! Love how they picked gold for Skarmory. I don't know why, but it gives me a medieval feel when I look at this design, like a knight. 

Let's look at its shiny:
The body is fine, but I don't like the green color. I know it's supposed to match its regular shiny, but if they changed it to a red to match its regular design, or heck, make it look like a regular Skarmory, that would be better.

Okay, so the reason for the gold color for it's mega:
Mega Skarmory's color change to gold might be a reference to Skarmory's origin games, Gold and Silver.

Now that's cool. 

So far, this is my favorite Mega revealed in Legends Z-A. Overall rating: 5/5.

Mega Froslass


Since Glalie has a Mega, of course Froslass gets one too. And it's not that bad! Since Froslass is based on a Yokai, this is a very fitting design.

Let's look at its shiny:
 
Basically similar to a regular shiny Froslass. If they made the bottom part of the dress a different color, it would look better, to be honest.

I don't have anything else to say, really cool design. Rating: 4.7/5.

Mega Emboar

Out of the three starters, I think Emboar looks the coolest! If I were to play Legends Z-A, I would easily pick Tepig as my starter because of this mega. 

Taking a look at its shiny:

Basically just a regular shiny Emboar. I think the blue makes the mega design look cooler.

Overall rating: 4.9/5. Okay, so far, we have some really cool mega designs.

Mega Excadrill
Okay, this one isn't as cool. What did they do to you, Excadrill. I think what ruined this design for me is the top drill on its head. I don't have much to say about this design, but lets take a look at its shiny:

About the same as its regular shiny.

Rating: 3.9/5

Mega Scolipede
Wow, a Pokémon I wasn't expecting to get a mega evolution. It's okay. I think I like the color choices on it, but is the front part supposed to be armor or something?

Taking a look at its shiny:
Its shiny is not that bad! I love the black and purple that they chose.

And after looking at its origin, I am correct. It is supposed to be armor.
Mega Scolipede's coat of armor is reminiscent of that of knights or gladiators. Following the horse theme, its armor may reference barding, armor for war horses. 

So, basically, it's supposed to be like a horse with armor. I also didn't know this:

Scolipede's equine appearance may be derived from a pun on the Japanese word for millipede, 馬陸 yasude; the word contains the kanji 馬, which literally means horse.

Not bad.

Rating: 4.5/5

Mega Scrafty


All they did was make Scrafty look even more emo. I think it's okay. I don't have much to say about the design.

So according to its Pokédex entry, the jacket and pants is supposed to be its shed skin. Also, reading its origins on Bulbapedia, it could be based on some popular pictures where leopard geckos, when they shed their skin all at once, it's all white and it looks like they're wearing a hoodie or onesie.

Let's take a look at its shiny:
Why did they make the shed skin part purple? I was hoping it would be a black or gray color. 

Rating: 3.9/5

Mega Eelektross
Of course this thing gets a mega. 

Is this supposed to be based on one of those paper lanterns that you hold on a stick and it has like lights inside? I can't really describe it, but that what this mega reminds me of.

So, those two white things on the side according to its Pokédex entry are apparently false Eelektross, that is made of spe- I mean, mucus. Yeah...

It's shiny... nothing much. Just a regular shiny Eelektross. The false Eelektross' mouth is a bit lighter. That's about it.

So, this mega is based on a hagfish (known as slime eels), which release white mucus when agitated for self-defense. Disgusting... yeah...

Rating: 3.5/5.

Mega Chandelure

Another predictable gen 5 Pokémon that gets a mega design... it's alright.

Its shiny is just the same as a regular shiny Chandelure. 

So, apparently, the reason for the one eye:
One of its eyes is a window linking our world with the afterlife.

I got nothing much to say. Rating: 4/5.

Mega Chesnaught

I got nothing much to say, but when I first saw Mega Chesnaught, I didn't like it, but then later warmed up to it. I think it's a pretty awesome mega design!

It's shiny makes it pretty even cooler:


Overall rating: 4.8/5.

Mega Delphox 

Mega Delphox is pretty cool and I love the witch design they did for it. I really wish it had like a witch hat, though... missed opportunity to do that.

And oh my goodness, it's shiny looks even cooler:

Out of the three Kalos starter megas, this one is my favorite.

Rating: 4.8/5.

Mega Greninja

Oh, they did Greninja dirty. They didn't even try. What, you were hoping for an Ash-Greninja inspiration? Well too bad.

It basically looks like shiny Greninja with less features on it and it now sticks on a star.

And speaking of shiny... yeah. They didn't do much with it. Just the feet, head, tongue, and body are different.
Mega Greninja's black coloring may be based on the archetypal ninja outfit.

Yeah, I see why they chose black for Mega Greninja's design, but still... they didn't really try.

Rating: 2.9/5

Mega Pyroar


A Pokémon I never expected to get a Mega Evolution. 

So, this Mega applies to both the male and female. I think it's okay, just the top part of its mane might be a bit too much. I wish the tail had a flame at the end of it.

I do like it's shiny coloration, though!


Rating: 4/5
Mega Floette (Eternal Flower)
I remember when Eternal Flower Floette was an unreleased Pokémon before Legends Z-A; you could find data of it in the 3DS games. I honestly wasn't expecting it to get a Mega Evolution.

I think it's okay. I can't even find any images of its shiny; when I looked at its sprites on Bulbapedia, it seems to lack one.

----

Update: apparently, after publishing this post and doing further research it does have a shiny, but seen via icon. 

Also, in the TCRF for X and Y and Sun and Moon, it has its own shiny model:
I think its alright. I do like the pink on it.

----


I got nothing much to say. Rating: 3.9/5

Mega Malamar

Not my favorite mega. According to its origins, it's supposed to be based on the supervillain trope and I can see it now:
Mega Malamar appears to iterate on the supervillain trope; particularly, its large, swollen brain and the tentacles wrapped around its head mirrors super-intelligent characters and genius supervillains in popular media, and its high collar is also a common trait in villain costumes. 

 It's shiny is about the same as a regular shiny Malamar:

I don't have much to say. Rating: 3.5/5

Mega Barbaracle 

Out of all of the Kalos Pokémon, you pick this thing to get a Mega Evolution? It looks even worse. It's now a rock-fighting type and "can move very quickly, delivering powerful punches followed by a yellow or red beam attack".

It's shiny is the same as it's regular version:


Yeah, I got nothing much to say for this mega, but again, just... why?

Rating: 2/5

Mega Dragalge
Hey, this thing is not that bad! I like the top part of its design.

The shiny variant looks cool too:
Overall rating: 4.8/5

Mega Hawlucha
This is a really cool Mega design!!! I love the mask and the tuft part (around its chest). The shiny is basically the same as a regular shiny Hawlucha, but it's still cool looking!

Rating: 5/5
Mega Zygarde (Complete Form)
So, I had gotten spoiled by Mega Zygarde (name only) via someone I follow on Bluesky who does this series of Pokémon drawings by drawing the Pokémon by using only the letters from their name.

Honestly, why does Zygarde need a Mega design when it's completely fine with the other forms. It's basically just Complete Form Zygarde, but "let's add a giant cannon thing to it for no reason". The only cool thing is the flame thing on top of its head.

I wish it took maybe some inspiration from like Gundam or something, to make it feel more badass, you know what I'm saying? I get why they gave Zygarde a mega: it's basically the focus of Legends Z-A.

It's shiny is the same as a regular shiny Zygarde:
Mega Zygarde's cannon might be based on either a railgun or a laser cannon. As Mega Zygarde is styled after its Complete Forme, it may also resemble a stylized Z and a mech, with its cannon posed where the "head" of the Z is placed.

Okay, I can see it now... I mean not the railgun/laser cannon part, the sentence after that.

Rating: 3.9/5

Mega Drampa


I think this is an alright design. I wish it was dark-dragon, though, judging by those colors.

The shiny colors are alright as well; I like the gold and black combination.
Mega Drampa's fur becoming black resembles storm clouds, alluding to its capacity to summon them. This ability is typical of Chinese dragons, most specifically of Shenlong (god dragon), who is called a master of rain. 

Hey, after reading its origin, I can see the inspiration. I think I like it a bit more.

Rating: 4/5.

Mega Falinks


I've gotten spoiled by the same Bluesky user by name only, luckily I didn't see the design. I actually like it, although, I feel bad for the bottom Falinks.

The shiny is the same as a regular Falinks.

Overall rating: 4.9/5

Now, we're going into the megas that were revealed in the Mega Dimension DLC.

Mega Raichu X and Y
Mega Raichu X is just Pikachu. They didn't even try. The shiny looks better than this, as it look like a normal Raichu.

However, Mega Raichu Y, looks better, taking some elements from Pikachu...

...except for it's shiny. It's just Pikachu


Sheesh, Pikachu should've gotten the Mega Evolution instead of Raichu. I also want to mention, both have fangs. Maybe they took inspiration from Gorochu... 

Rating for X: 2/5
Rating for Y: 3.9/5

Mega Chimecho
I think this mega is alright. I don't have nothing much to say about it.

It's shiny is basically the same as a regular shiny Chimecho:

Overall rating: 4/5.

Mega Absol Z

When I scrolled down, I was so confused onto why Absol was on the list until I saw it's Mega form. So, the DLC introduced Z Mega Evolution and certain Pokémon can now Mega Evolve into a Z form.

I have to say, this is badass. As in, really awesome! Since Mega Absol has angel wings, Mega Absol Z has these devil wings or something? An angel and devil. Nice.

Its shiny is okay:
Mega Absol Z's darker design, as well as its newfound Ghost type, emphasize Absol's resemblance to Western depictions of Death. Its design being similar to Mega Absol, which has a more angelic appearance, might allude to the concept of angels of death such as Azrael.

Yeah, basically just what I said there.

This might my next new favorite mega right after Mega Skarmory.

Rating: 5/5

Mega Staraptor


 I knew this Pokémon would get a mega.

It's an okay design and its shiny is alright:


Can we also just talk about its Pokédex entry:
Mega Staraptor is a top-class flier. It can easily soar through the sky while gripping a Steelix that weighs more than 880 lbs.

What the heck.

Rating: 3.9/5.

Mega Garchomp Z

This mega looks way better than it's regular mega design. I like the wings. But, why just make it pure dragon type?

The shiny colors looks pretty cool:
I got nothing else to say. Rating: 4/5.
Mega Lucario Z
Of course, everyone's favorite blue dog gets a Z form.

I think it looks decent! I also love its shiny variant:
Rating: 4.6/5
Mega Heatran
Wow, a legendary Pokémon I wasn't expecting to get a Mega Evolution. I got nothing much to say, it's an okay design. Its shiny variant is basically the same as a regular shiny Hetran:
Rating: 3.9/5

Mega Darkrai
While I was scrolling on Bulbapedia's page for Mega Evolution trying to avoid spoilers on what Pokémon got a Mega Evolution, I accidentally saw Darkrai's name in a paragraph and thought it didn't have one. Turns out, it does. Poor Mew couldn't get a Mega Evolution.

I don't know what I'm even looking at. Apparently, Darkrai is a key figure in the DLC, but honestly, again, I stopped caring about the mainline games after S/V.

It's shiny is the same as a regular shiny Darkrai:

So according to its origin, Mega Darkrai is supposed to take inspiration from the beholder. Now I can see the inspiration.

I don't have much to say, my rating is 3.9/5.

Mega Golurk

Hey, this design isn't all that bad! I really love its shiny variant:
Something about those colors gives me Ghostbuster vibes.

Overall rating: 4.9/5

Mega Meowstic

Ooh, now this is a cool design, combining both the male and female Meowstic! I also love the eyes on its ears. This might be my next favorite mega evolution, right after Skarmory and Absol Z.

Its shiny colors are pretty awesome as well:
Pretty cool origin for it too, according to Bulbapedia:
Mega Meowstic combines aspects of both of Meowstic's gender forms in a single design. This might allude to genetic anomalies such as mosaicism or gynandromorphism, which produce specimens with similar visual traits, like being "parted" down the middle. It could more specifically be inspired by chimera cats, a genetic condition where two cat embryos fuse together and causing the resulting cat to have 2 different sets of DNA. This often resulting in two different fur patterns split down the middle of the cat. Alternatively, the combination of male and female may allude to the concept of intersexuality or intersexual mythical figures such as Hermaphroditus or Ardhanarishvara.

Rating: 5/5.

Mega Crabominable

Man, I was hoping Hoopa would get a Mega Evolution, but after seeing the trivia that says that Meowstic is the only gen VI in the DLC instead of the base game to get one, that just made me disappointed.

This is a Pokémon I wasn't expecting to get one. I think it's pretty cool looking and also, he looks even more angry, lol.

Its shiny is about the same as a regular shiny Crabominable:

Overall rating: 4/5.


Mega Golisopod 
Heck yeah, Golisopod gets a mega evolution. It's pretty awesome looking and I love the dark grey color that they choose for it.

However, I think I like its shiny even better:

Also, it's now a bug-steel type. Now that's awesome, especially after reading its origin:
Mega Golisopod might be based on cyborgs, since it gains the Steel type and obtains additional limbs, an enhancement that isn't uncommon in the trope. The extra arms are positioned in a way reminiscent of shoulder cannons. Mega Golisopod may also be based on the sci-fi concept of walking tanks, given that its legs walk in a similar motion and most of them fire off large blasters or missiles from their backs, just like Mega Golisopod's arm cannons.

To be honest, the shiny variant should've been the regular version instead. 

Rating: 4.8/5
Mega Magearna (original and regular)

Another mythical Pokémon that gets the mega treatment (again, poor Mew). I love this design! So, both regular Magearna and original color Magearna can mega evolve. The one with the black gear is a regular mega Magearna, while the one with the white gear (and gold chest) is original color Magearna.

The regular mega Magearna looks even cooler since everything is all silver (similar to regular shiny Magearna):
I actually didn't know original color Magearna had a shiny variant. It's basically the same thing as regular shiny original color Magearna:

Overall, my rating is 4/5.

Mega Zeraora
AAAAAAA *screams of joy* my favorite Pokémon has a mega evolution!!! Heck yes! And it looks even cooler!

Sadly, its shiny is basically the same as a regular shiny Zeraora:
I'm looking at this screenshot and man, it's so... so badass!

...still I have to say it again, poor, poor, Mew.


Rating: 5/5.

Mega Scovillain

Wow, so we have some Paldea Pokémon that have mega designs now.

I think this design is alright, I like the head designs, but the chili pepper in the middle is so distracting and sticks out like a sore thumb. Well, actually, it's a "necktie" according to its Pokédex entry.

Its shiny is the same as a regular shiny Scovollain:
Overall rating: 3.9/5 - if the pepper necktie was shortened, that would make this design a bit better, I guess.

Mega Glimmora
Well, I actually got spoiled by this design yesterday when I was looking at Serebii's page for Glimmora because there's an event going on (as of this writing) in Scarlet/Violet that I was interested in where there are outbreaks of Glimmet and Glimmora with increased shiny odds (I did catch a shiny Glimmet). 

But, why this Paldea Pokémon to get a mega? All they did was extend the cone in the middle, gave it red eyes, and some petal thingies around it while adding elements from its pre-evolution, Glimmet. I do like the shiny colors:



Rating: 3.8/5

Mega Tatsugiri
I see what they did here, heh. The official artwork you're seeing above is of the stretchy form. Here's the droopy form:
And the curly form:

So, when mega evolved, they're on a dish that is shaped like the Mega Evolution symbol. I think it's pretty cute and funny. Also, they're longer now.

Their shiny is about the same as a regular Tatsugiri:

Overall rating: 4.5/5

Mega Baxcalibur

I love it! I think the sword part in the center of its body really stands out to me. Its shiny variant is sadly the same as a regular Baxcalibur:

I don't have anything else to say, it's a pretty cool mega.

Rating: 4.7/5

----

And that's all of the mega designs revealed in Legends Z-A! Now that I have seen all the designs, I can no longer worry about avoiding spoilers on the megas anymore. I have been pretty harsh on some of the designs (Mega Starmie), but just remember, this is only my opinion and thoughts on these designs. I have comments disabled just in case because I know how toxic the Pokémon community is... I have seen some of it online and it's in case some angry Pokémon fan out there feels a bit... well, mad about my blog post.

I had hopes for some Pokémon to get a Mega Evolution: Mew, Tropius, and Clawitzer were my hopes, but sadly they don't get one. Not even Marshadow, an Alola mythical Pokémon gets one.

I think that's about it. This took me hours to type up. But, just putting something out there to keep this blog active, I guess. There may be some typos here and there, but it's fine... I'm too lazy to fix it, lol.

Thanks for reading.