Translate

My thoughts on memes and hype for something in fandoms.

 When I was on break from Friday-Monday, away from social media, I wanted to find some videos for my bored self to watch. And then, I stumbled across this video.


"Are Memes Ruining Media" was the title of the video and I wanted to click on it. In the video the man shows the Breaking Bad meme. I have seen that meme and sometimes I never got it, sometimes I did, and also I don't watch the show. But then when he showed the context of the meme, I was like... wow. He even showed other shows such as "The Boys" with the context of the meme scene. 

After watching that video, I was really surprised. To see the context of that one Breaking Bad meme surprised me. I don't know why people would take a heartbreaking/sad/tense scene and take it out of context and for people to spread it on the internet. 

Which is why I am making this post. To explain my thoughts on memes, plus hype in the fandoms that I'm in but don't want to really get into much.

When I first had access to the internet, I would sometimes be smart and bypass going on to YouTube since my parents would disable Safari/Web Browsing. I used to play on my Kindle and when I had Wi-fi, I would go on this drawing app and wait for an ad to pop up. Then I would click the AdChoices button (usually seen on the corner) and web browse. But my mom or dad would find out later and disabled the Wi-fi for me later on. That was like... when I was in elementary school? But around those times I was exposed to memes such as Bad Luck Brian and Grumpy Cat (rest in peace). 

Fast forwarding to now, memes now is just... I don't know. Depending on the meme it can get annoying or confusing plus... loud noises in most of them. It's why I'm not into modern memes anymore. I mean, I don't hate memes, I still follow some people who post memes or share them. I remember seeing this one meme of this drawing. Let me describe it: its head was a circle with black eyes and it had a face like this: 0_0. It had a animal body. The whole body was white. I kept seeing this meme everywhere on my Tumblr timeline and one time, when I announced my birthday, someone replied to my tweet with a gif of that thing. I just don't get it. As explained in the video, the more you see a meme everywhere, the less funny it gets. It reminded me of that SpongeBob episode "Ripped Pants". SpongeBob kept showing his ripped pants to everyone in Goo Lagoon and people kept thinking it was funny. But when he kept doing it, no one really cared anymore and left him. And also, every time I search for something I always get Gacha Life related videos... like why YT? 

Now the other topic, hype in the fandoms that I'm in. I hate waking up early at 6am just to watch some Pokémon news (there was news of the Scarlet and Violet games last Wednesday), like can it be at night or something? I remember waking up early just to watch the Smash reveals. I don't watch Nintendo Directs anymore but I always see my friends or others hype for some game or some new anime. And sometimes, I draw fanart of that franchise just to put my art out there. But as I scroll and scroll, I see good fanart which is why I just feel like quitting, but I don't want to. Sometimes hype for something is good or bad for me, depending, and it can depend on how big the franchise is. Just some short thoughts here. 

Anyways, that's all I can say for now. College is coming up soon for me and I will be returning to working on online college stuff. I'll make sure this blog becomes more active. I might plan to do a DVD collection that I own and do some reviews on plushies and more. I'll probably return to posting processes of some of my art. Stay tuned.



Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.