Translate

Why do I prefer old but not modern?


(photo credit: SoraNews 24)

So, this is something I wanted to bring up. Sunday, I got to watch a Godzilla marathon on a channel called Comet. They played the original Godzilla on TV, and the last movie they played was “Terror of Mechagodzilla”. I stayed up until 3am to watch the movies they played and boy, it was fun, since it’s my first time watching Godzilla movies and getting into the Kaiju genre. Another genre I’m planning on getting into is Tokusatsu.

While watching some old shows on cable last night like “The Dick Van Dike Show”, my dad was like, “You like this stuff” and I replied with “Yes”. He called me old (it’s a joke, btw). Okay, back to the whole Godzilla thing. I was talking to my friend while watching the movies on cable and told him how I prefer old anime over modern. I told him that I prefer the old, round designs of Toriyama’s (OG Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump) than his current designs. Z’s designs are more sharp, but I still prefer the OG Dragon Ball designs. Super’s designs… eh well, just look up at what they did to my boy Gohan. -_-

You’re looking at the title, wondering why I’m asking this question. Now, the reason why I prefer old things over modern is because something about collecting old stuff and watching old shows, cartoons, and anime just gives me nostalgia and comfort, I guess. I was born in 2002, and shows that have a modern reboot or revival now, I sometimes don’t care for. You know about the “Fairly Odd Parents” revival? The awful live action one on Paramount Plus? Yeah… Nick is just bringing the show into the ground. And SpongeBob is still going on with the seasons and spin offs, it's like when will the show ever end? Rugrats reboot, eh, I never cared much for the Rugrats that much except I watched some episodes on TV and the “Chocolate Pudding” meme. Csupo’s human designs are weird for me, especially when they are translated into 3D (boy they don’t translate well in 3D), but the monster designs (depending) such as Reptar and Ickis are my favorites. I find Reptar cute. 

That’s So Raven has a revival that’s still going on and while the previous 4 seasons are okay, the currently running season 5 just feels so different without Chelsea and the other main characters. It’s just Raven and Booker, and Raven’s dad is back, but Disney decided to add new characters we never even heard of. And you know what happens if there’s new characters. They did bring back old locations and characters, but I feel like they’re doing it cause… nostalgia. Some of the jokes are fine, but not some of the stuff the characters are saying needs a laugh track. I’m still watching the season, and I hope it’s the last one. 

I also like to collect vintage plushies. I have some old Hasbro Pokémon plushies (which I will cover on this blog) that talk: 2 Pikachus, Togepi, and Mew. I also have a Celebi from Japan that talks as well. Another plush I own is from Digimon, the Veemon Alarm Clock. I made a full review post on that, go check it out: https://wimbearn.blogspot.com/2022/03/interactive-veemon-alarm-clock-cool.html

I also own those LCD games, mostly from Tiger Electronics. I have one baseball game,  all of the re-releases Hasbro did in 2020 and 2021 (if possible, they might do a wave 3 this year), a driving game which doesn't control right, and a handheld Perfection game (2 of the buttons don’t work). The one that gives me the most nostalgia is the Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers one. It was my exposure to these things, as I played it at my cousin’s house when I was little. The cover art is what I like the most about collecting these things and the game play filled with bleeps and boops while trying to beat your high score is what kept me addicted. 

And finally, old anime. I love old anime. On my blog, I talked about an old anime called “Dragon Quest: Abel Yuusha Densetsu” and how much I love the anime. It’s one of my favorite comfort anime, and the only one I have watched twice. Now, I don’t hate modern anime as there are good ones like Demon Slayer that I watch. The Digimon Adventure 2020 reboot was okay, but I prefer the digivolving sequences of the original. And some episodes were eh or amazing for me. Same with the current season of Pokémon: there were episodes that were a hit or miss for me. The Pocket Monsters season feels like it's coming to a close with Ash getting closer to battling Leon while Goh is close to his goal of catching Mew. But who knows when it will end. Other old anime I like watching are Dr. Slump and the original Dragon Ball. As I said before, I prefer Toriyama’s old designs. I know I heard some people skip OG Dragon Ball, and you shouldn’t do it as you’re missing out on some things and characters. That series is what started it all: from Goku meeting Bulma to battling giant Piccolo at the end. Something about the series gave me comfort and happiness as well: before the King Piccolo arc, which is where the show got serious, there were some funny moments and jokes, and the backgrounds are beautiful to look at. 

There are old anime I plan to check out. I mentioned on Twitter I watched two anime: the Ninja Gaiden OVA and Guilstein. Guilstein was okay, just wish the monsters/creature designs weren’t CG, as they looked like a PS2 cutscene. I suggest you read this person’s post on their blog about it, as this anime is obscure: http://landofobscusion.blogspot.com/2019/10/guilstein-monstrous-abel-to-gundoh.html 

That’s all I have to say. Something about seeing old things and stuff gives me warmth, nostalgia, and comfort. I might make a follow up to this if needed, but that’s all I got for now. Just putting my thoughts and stuff out there.

Enjoy these videos I can find and think of posting here. If YouTube happens to take them down, oh well. Man, we don't get good commercials anymore.





Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.