Translate

Off Topic Tuesday: Disney and their live action remakes. Just no.


I've been growing up with Disney since 2002, the year I was born. Movies like "The Lion King" and "Lilo and Stitch" were beautiful and well animated, and some of these movies have sad, emotional scenes like Mufasa's death.

One movie I love watching was "Enchanted", and it's still one of my favorite Disney movies to this day. It has a mix between animation and live action (another movie with a similar thing was Who Framed Roger Rabbit). And with that movie getting a sequel "Disenchanted", I'm just excited and I really hope it's good. Fun fact: Giselle used to be a Disney Princess. I remember seeing her on the Disney Princess website when I was little, but because of Amy Adams protecting her rights (I think?) they sadly removed her from the lineup as well as Disney Parks (I wish I was there to meet her!)

But let's talk about Disney and their live action remakes. The first one I remember seeing a teaser of was "Cinderella" or Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland on DVD at Target (I remember my parents saying I couldn't watch it cause it looks too dark and scary), but I never watched both of them (well, some of Alice when different channels would play the movie). Then we got more such as "Pete's Dragon", "The Jungle Book", "Aladdin", "Dumbo", "The Lion King", and more. Let me tell you, Disney is just remaking them because you guessed it... cashing in on the nostalgia.

It was fine for me from the beginning when my first Disney live action remake I watched was "Pete's Dragon". It was okay. Then the more I watched the remakes, the more I felt disappointed.

When I rented "the Lion King" remake at Redbox, it doesn't have the charm as the original with it's colorful backgrounds. My mom was even disappointed. BeyoncĂ© as Nala just... she tried. On my old blog, Purple Fox, I talked about I wanted "Be Prepared" to be in the movie (actually, I questioned if the song would be in the remake). Instead, we get some bad "song" that's not "Be Prepared". What were they thinking? 

Mufasa's death just didn't feel right... 

I have so much bad things to say about this movie. It felt like I was watching a documentary instead of "The Lion King". It felt boring.

The only good Disney live action remake or sequel they put out that I enjoyed was "Christopher Robin". It felt like a true sequel and the CG for Pooh and his friends looked amazing. It was really heartwarming seeing Pooh reunite with Christopher years later. And "Mary Poppins Returns", I also enjoyed.

But with Disney making that money and releasing more and more remakes, it just makes me not want to watch them. I just ignored the "Mulan" remake and I've been hearing people talk trash about it. I understand they're trying to be faithful to Chinese culture and all instead of how Disney originally wrote Mulan (people mostly complained about Mushu, the red dragon voiced by Eddie Murphy), but it all failed. Come on Disney. Why?

I'm just worried about the upcoming live action remakes of "The Little Mermaid" (everyone thought Halle Berry is playing Ariel, but it's the wrong Halle; instead Halle Bailey is playing her. I never heard of her until now, but I don't know how to feel since we already have Tiana, a black princess. I do appreciate black voice actors and actors since I'm black myself and wish people would stop complaining on social media), "Lilo and Stitch", "Hercules", and "Snow White". They are just literally running out of titles too such as "Hunchback" (a remake of the Hunchback of Nortre Dame), "Tink", and "Cruella". And we are getting a live action remake of "Princess and the Frog" as well which was announced in January... I'm done. I'm just done... ending it here.

Okay... never mind. TPatF live action was rejected by Disney... but we're getting an Aristocats remake. And now we're getting a Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers movie on Disney+ which was announced on February (it's not a reboot or remake, but it explains the downfall of the rangers and is targeted toward those who remember them in the 80's or 90's. While celebs voicing the main characters doesn't feel right, I might check it out)... just stop it Disney. 

Now imagine Universal getting in on the trend and they remake "An American Tail", in live action. Oh boy.

 

Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.