Translate

Off Topic Tuesday: Pokémon trainers that I want to see return to the anime!

(WARNING: may contain spoilers for Journeys if you haven't seen it or just waiting for the dubbed episodes if you don't care for the subs)


Pokémon Journeys, or simply just Pocket Monsters in Japan, has been a good series so far. There are episodes I like and some were eh (like the Pikachu Team Rocket/Marshtomp episode) for me. We also cannot forget the infamous Goh catching Suicune episode that broke the Anipoke fandom (and what's even worse is that he caught a legendary in a Pokeball!). I do hate staying up at night and waiting until 1 am to watch a Pokémon episode on Youtube that could be good or not. Being Pacific time sucks. I don't understand how people upload clips of a recent episode so darn fast on YouTube. Probably cause they're screen recording the stream.

We had a lot of characters return to the anime, such as Gary, Iris, Erika, Dawn, even Biff- I mean Butch and Cassidy! But my top 5 characters that should return to the anime.


5. Paul

"But wimbearn, Paul is an awful trainer!" "Paul is the worst!" "I hate Paul.". I know that I hate him too until Sinnoh League Victors. The way he trained Chimchar so hard and told him to leave cause he was useless... it's was hard to watch. He even called Ash's Turtwig "pathetic". At least Ash has Chimchar, now evolved into a Monferno. It did had some out of control moments:

But we're not talking about Chimchar. We're talking about Paul here. Paul did return to Journeys, but only through a flashback with the Ash vs. Paul fight in Sinnoh. If he ever returns, I hope to see him battle Ash or just have them chat, IDK. Out of all of the rivals Ash has faced, I consider Paul to be the best one.

4. May


I don't have much to say but, if May returns probably show off her stuff like she does in the contest episodes.


3. Serena

Probably the most highly requested traveling companion and fan-favorite of Ash's to return. Heck, there's a lot of clickbait videos or fanart that photoshop or edit/draw Serena in the Journeys style (before that, Sun and Moon; also can't forget Ash-Greninja) that can be easy to fall for. I remember falling for this leak that mentions every traveling companion of Ash's would return or characters in the past would return. The image had every companion in the Journeys style. Sadly, it's fanart and the leak is fake or a mistranslation. The only ones who returned are the Alola gang, Dawn, Iris, and Brock (in the Arceus special).



I know the XY series is popular in the Anipoke fandom. It's my 2nd favorite, with the D&P series being my first favorite.

If Serena returns, have her do some moments with Ash and Goh. Now that I would love to see. There's just too much fanart that looks like an official screenshot and it's scaring me 😂. Here's a good fanart:

(img credit: THSinaaz_Art; someone on DeviantArt posted their pics but did credit them which is good and that's how I found this image)


2. Sabrina


Okay, but Sabrina in the anime is... terrifying. She turns people into dolls, if I remembered. She's also voiced by Lisa Ortiz, who also voiced Ash's Oshawott, may I remind you. Oh and speaking of wanting her to return, guess what I found on Google:


Looking at the silhouettes, it could be possible that she may return in the future. I mean Gym Leader Erika did return in an episode. Either she will have her OG appearance or her appearance in Johto, but most likely her original Kanto appearance.

Honorable mentions:

Duplica

Duplica and her Ditto deserves to return. She was really fun in the original series, by copying Ash and even Team Rocket (best moment of the anime). If she ever comes back, have her copy Ash or Goh and mess with them. I would love to see their reactions!

Ritchie

I miss Ritchie and his Pikachu. His last appearance was in the Johto series and after the Baby Lugia episodes, (or if you count the very underrated and not well known Pokémon Chronicles) poof, he's gone. 

Tobias

A very mysterious trainer. Still don't know how he got them Legendries. Wait according to TV Tropes, under the "Christmas Rushed" trope, they had to rush out the final Sinnoh episodes before Black and White. Yikes. Imagine fighting a trainer with a team of legendries. 


Aya

Before Janine, we got Aya. An anime only trainer, who is the young sister of Koga. I thought she was a gym leader 😅. During a live stream last year, while signing autographs, I told voice actress Lisa Ortiz in the chat (who voices Aya) that I enjoyed her voice as the "poison type gym leader in Kanto" (Koga is the poison type gym leader). Whoops. She did read it though. Forgot what she said.

To be honest, I wish Aya was in the games. I like her design and they could do more with her. But because of Janine, we'll never see her again. I swear, the anime do be making these characters then forget about them.

Professor Ivy

Okay, but Ivy and the Orange Islands need to return. I know, I know, the Orange Islands isn't in the main series games, but I really want it to return. I still wonder why Brock is still afraid or dislikes Ivy. Wait... I just found this article and it says this:

"Takeshi Shudo, the original head writer of the Pokemon anime, seemed to have his own theories about what happened between the two characters. The information was written down in Pocket Monsters: The Animation, a book that he wrote before his death in 2010. In the book, Shudo says that he believes the reason for Brock's strong reaction to Professor Ivy's rejection is because she may be a lesbian." [Source]

Say what now??? I know it's a theory and probably not confirmed, but wow.

1. Tracey Sketchit


My highly requested character to return to the anime. He did make a cameo in Journeys, but as a thought bubble:

I'm pretty sure he's still working for Oak. If Tracey comes back, I would love to see his Pokémon Venonat and Marill being used for something and his Scyther becoming a Scizor, since Scyther is used for battling.

What are your thoughts? Comment below.

And do be careful of leaks and "screenshots" that may be real, but isn't.

Update (3/4): Looks like Paul is coming back to the anime according to the new opening!

Update (4/8): Serena confirmed!!! Judging by the title, I was hoping for her to return and she is! She looks so cute in that outfit.

Update (7/8): Wow... I wasn't expecting this. Ritchie made a cameo in the recent Pokémon episode!







Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.