Translate

Off Topic Tuesday: Lost Media (?): 80's OG Dragon Ball Stage Show in Japan

Did you know that back in the day, Dragon Ball had a couple of stage shows in Japan? One for GT and one for Z Kai (and probably some others that I don't know about). But last year, while doing some Japanese searching and digging, I found this one image:

I wanted to dig deeper on this one Bulma costume. This could be the original source from where the image comes from: https://twitter.com/dragonsurvive01/status/999274345963798528?lang=en or https://karapaia.com/archives/52074326.html.

So after searching "キャラクターショー1987" on Google, this image stood out:
Look closely: the same Bulma can be seen! 
I wanted to talk about this on my Twitter and my main Tumblr (lovelypurplefox is my main Tumblr blog if anyone is interested; wimbearn is my sideblog to post art). I think the post and tweet hasn't gotten much of a reach, but here's what I said:

"Last night, I stumbled across this Bulma costume. I wanted to find more info about it so I did more digging (with me using Japanese instead of English) and found the full Bulma costume w/ Goku, Oolong, and Roshi. So they must’ve done some show back in the 80’s but sadly this is the only thing I can find about it. No video footage, no nothing. I guess these 2 images will do for now. Consider this lost media 😂"

Sadly, these 2 images are the only thing we can get. No video footage, no nothing. Unless someone living in Japan has video footage, but oh well. I hope someone can dig deeper to find more about this. Maybe it could be based on the Emperor Pilaf arc of the original series? 

Asides the show, I found more Dragon Ball costumes, such as Goten and Trunks with Sailor Moon's Chibi-USA and a Kid Goku costume that aren't related to the show.

Here’s some video footage of the Goten and Trunks costumes w/ the Sailor Moon characters in action:

What do you think? Let me know in the comments! And do let me know if you've found some more stuff of the OG Dragon Ball live show, I want to know!

Update (2/27): I still couldn't stop thinking about that OG Dragon Ball show. Last night I was digging hard, real hard, even on YouTube. And I stumbled across this video:
And a second in... there it was.. the same Goku costume I was looking for! Sadly, it was for a commercial and I still couldn't find the full OG Dragon Ball show. I guess it's still lost media. But it's so cool seeing footage of a costume used for the show! I could dig deep even more, but I don't think I can anymore. I tried. I guess my search ends here?

If someone knows about this, let me know!






Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.