Translate

Artists that I'm Inspired By: Ken Sugimori

This post will also be on my WordPress blog scheduled to post on July 1st since I rarely use my Blogger because as mentioned in one of my posts... botted views mostly coming from Singapore. It might have more words and stuff than this post and some corrections. This post on this blog might not be updated much since I'm rarely using my Blogger.

When my WordPress post drops on Saturday, I will link it here.

https://wimbearn.wordpress.com/2023/07/01/artists-that-im-inspired-by-ken-sugimori/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artists that I'm Inspired By: Ken Sugimori


I have been watching a lot of Pokémon videos today and last week, I had an idea of making a series of artists that inspire me or inspires my art style. 


Today, I will be taking about Pokémon artist Ken Sugimori. He served as the Pokémon art director for generations 1-6. According to Dr. Lava on Twitter:


"After serving as art director for Gens 1-6, the original Pokemon designer Ken Sugimori stepped down in Gen 7. For Sun & Moon, he only directed the Alolan Form designs -- a fitting role, since he was responsible for the Kanto Pokemon they were based on." (source)

Very sad that he stepped down. I thought he kept working on some of the designs and maybe I can see some of the decline in the art style or designs. The Galar and two of the Paldea starters' final evos are too humanoid. Some of the newer Paldea designs are fine and there are some that are eh... like Flamigo or Palafin's Hero form. I have seen people's take of some Gen 5 up to the current gen Pokémon by drawing them in the Gen 1 art style. 
(You've probably seen this image floating around on the internet. I know this came from Reddit but I can't find the OG source)

But I'm not here to talk about or criticize the modern designs. No. So many people has done that already and I'm not one of those people who like to criticize harshly like that. I'm gonna focus on Sugimori's old art, mostly his beautiful watercolor drawings (mostly Gen 1 and 2) and why his art inspires my art style. I'm gonna find some of my favorites. And also, most recently, his artworks is in high quality which is pretty awesome (and you will see it a lot in Google's search results when you search Sugimori which is annoying for me; I mostly filter my searches)! 

And I'm not just gonna look at Pokémon; I'm also gonna look at other works he did. I will be picking my favorites that I see. And if possible, I might make a part two. I'm also trying to be careful of some fan works/fan art because sometimes their art looks super close to Sugimori's official art; if you notice that I picked someone's fanart, let me know.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(source: Reddit)

This photo, from Reddit is edited but I still chose it because of how beautiful this is. Sugimori's watercolor works are just nice to look at for me. I love how expressive and well posed the mons are including Charizard, Scyther, Meowth, any Pokémon that's in this image. In the center, the Flareon sitting on Tangela and looking into the sky... I love its smile. I can picture the wind blowing and Flareon's tufts moving in the breeze.

(source: Twitter /@VGArtAndTidbits - although this same image can be found on other sites)

Wow, early designs here. Clearly that pink creature is supposed to be Hitmontop. That turtle thing in the back looks more like a snapping turtle (before Chewtle and it's evolution Drednaw existed!). I also like how T-tar is looking. Looking at the pose of the unnamed female trainer in the front and studying her facial expression, it looks like she is ready for a Pokémon battle!






A couple of black and white sketches. Also, early Lapras design above! Maybe early Blastoise design above (1st image)?

(source: Twitter/Hi-Res Pokémon)

The thing that stands out to me in this drawing is definitely Charizard. He looks very intimidating (stares at the viewer). You might notice, that Charizard appears to have one horn on his head and it's also shown in another artwork seen below, unless it's just hidden behind his head (probably that.)
(source: Twitter/Hi-Res Pokémon)

I'm gonna pick one more Pokémon Sugimori artwork here. I might save some for a part 2, if you want to see that. 
 
(source: Tumblr/Hi-Res Pokémon Art)


(source: Tumblr/Hi-Res Pokémon Art)

Of course, I had to pick the Mew duo.

First image: When I saw that Mewtwo image, I was like, "wow". I love how evil and menacing Mewtwo looks here, mostly with the eyes and how big his right (or is it left?) hand is close to the camera. His pupils are very small and his eye color is red, while his hand is reaching out, ready to either grab Mew or unleash his psychic attacks. The background is very dark and spooky (and it could also look like Mewtwo is charging his attack) and Pikachu watches in horror in the background.

Hi-Res Pokémon's info: 1998, Ken Sugimori’s illustration for the Jumbo Pokémon Trading Card Mewtwo Strikes Back (ミュウツーの逆襲),  available as an insert with the May 1998 issue of CoroCoro Comic.

Second image: This Mew drawn by Sugimori is super adorable. I actually prefer Mew with it's feet and tail a darker pink. Wish they kept that for future gens. It looks like its getting ready to fall asleep on the rock here. Or maybe it's playing around, messing with other wild Pokémon. I adore Mew.

Hi-Res Pokémon's info: Mew by Ken Sugimori, Promotional card art released in the February 1997 issue of CoroCoro Comic.

Now, I will be moving out of Pokémon and I will take a look at his other works.

(source: ZeroChan)

I didn't know a Valkyrie no Densetsu manga existed until I ran across this thread. Some person mentioned that Sugimori worked on it and I checked Wikipedia and they are correct. If you aren't familiar with Valkyrie, she is a Namco character. Her series started off as a Famicom game.


I actually found one page of the manga digging deep and I can confirm that this is his art style! It came from a thread talking about Valkyrie!

User gsk says: "oh and anyone who owns the Ken Sugimori Works has probably at least flicked past some of this material, but for the unaware, Game Freak’s Ken Sugimori drew this particular Valkyrie manga—it’s an isekai with a girl who gets hit by a motorbike, wakes up in Marvel Land and ends up assuming the role of Valkyrie:"

(source: Insert Credit)

If anyone has scans of this manga, please let me know. Or maybe upload said manga to the archives (archive.org) - unless it's on there.

The next series I'm gonna look at is Quinty or in the US, Mendel Palace.

(source: Otaku Magazine)

(source: Namco Wiki)

I don't have much to say here with these two but this Quinty artwork below is my favorite. 
(source: Twitter/Lewtwo)


I don't want this post to drag on for so long, but I'm gonna wrap it up with one last series, Pulseman.

Wow, have I found the holy grail of official Pulseman artwork thanks to this fansite! https://pulseman.co.uk/


(source: Amino Apps)



The designs here give me Mega Man vibes. Also, the girl character, Rice or Beatrice's hair reminds me of Blaziken's design - maybe mostly through her colors. I know that Pokémon probably has referenced this game or that there are Pokémon elements in the Pulseman game before Pokémon existed. Actually, some of the staff that worked on this game would go on to work on Pokémon including Sugimori and composer Junichi Masuda.



Here's the entire Ken Sugimori drawing playlist. It's in Japanese sadly. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJd91O3LbcwQFc-YFO8_LH6wOMyHydBFk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion - why is my art style inspired by his?

Now, to wrap this post up, I picked mostly his watercolor artworks. Gen 3's and further gens art is alright and some of it looks nice but it looks too clean and loses that watercolor charm (of course digital art). I've read some people saying that they prefer the old, watercolor art or miss it. This one Reddit comment from this post, I can agree with.

User oaskf: 

"I vastly prefer the old watercolor art, though Sugimori is wonderful in any style.

With the old art style, the Pokémon seem more real to me - my imagination runs wild. Perhaps it has something to do with how fluid the watercolor look feels as a medium.

With the new art style, Pokémon strike me as a bit plastic, glossy, and rigid. I can understand why the art and design changes were made - Pokémon that "pop" with bright colors and more complex designs could be thought more likely to draw the attention of a child.

There are many factors at play, but in my opinion I feel the design changes were a decision for the worse in the long run. The first generation or two of games had terrible graphics and the designs were simple, but arguably captured the most hearts. Though not solely due to the artistic changes, the ability to invoke imagination is a powerful one that has diminished in Pokémon over time. Many are quick to lash out at perceived "lazy" first generation designs such as Voltorb. But for all of Voltorb's simplicity, it exists (chosen over many other rejected/pushed to G2 designs) because it fits into one of the deeper themes of Kanto - the dangers of meddling in advanced technology (what a Pokeball actually does to a creature is frightening) and the possibility that this technology could take on a mind of its own.

TLDR: All generations of Pokemon have brought something to the table, but the art style of the early games was better equipped to invoke the power of imagination and capture the heart of the player, IMO." (source)

I could make a part two someday, but this is where I will be stopping at. The biggest question is: 

why is my art style inspired by his?

The answer? The eye shape and maybe some of the hair designs. I'm also getting into watercolor. I have watercolor pencils from a friend who sent it to my house as an end of quarter gift. Unfortunately, I don't have watercolor paper, so I need to buy it myself. 

About maybe 5%, 15% or 20% of my art style is inspired by Sugimori's. It's a guesstimate for me. But I'll see when I continue to draw more and more.

I started Pokémon with the X and I still love the designs and franchise, but for the games, I feel like stopping as Scarlet, while having an awesome story, it suffers from performance issues and glitches (looking at you Tera Raids -_-). And I feel like some of the mon designs are gonna be worse as we continue into a new generation.

By the way, I do want this Ken Sugimori art book but man! It is expensive on Amazon! I'll probably get it on my birthday if I can find a cheap copy, who knows.


Anyways, if you made it to the end, thank you for reading! Take care! :)





Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.