Translate

Interview with Canadian Voice Actress Marcy Goldberg (Video - AUDIO ONLY)

Note: video is split into two parts because Blogger only allows 15 minutes of video. I have no plans on uploading it to my YouTube channel, as I have quit uploading there and I made my final video on August 26th on why I stopped.

 Part 1: 



Part 2:


Wow! This is exciting! This is my very first interview with a voice actress. Boy, I was nervous talking on the phone, but I did it!

So I wanted to do something. Before I started college, I wanted to reach out to every one of the cast who did the English dub of "Dragon Warrior". If you don't know what the anime is or why I love it so much, click here

It is a dub of the Japanese anime, "Dragon Quest: Abel Yuusha Densetsu", which ran for 43 (42 if you don't count the original broadcast airings of 32/33). Sadly, the English dub didn't last long as it ran for 13 episodes, with the last episode ending on a cliffhanger. The reason why it is titled "Dragon Warrior" is because back in the day, Dragon Quest was already trademarked and Nintendo wanted to avoid confusion until 2002. This anime is very obscure and not as popular as the Dai anime (the Dai reboot is almost about to end). Even Screen Rant put this as #3 on their ranking of every Dragon Quest anime which I knew it would be the third one on the list. Maybe the rumor of Toriyama (who did the designs of this and the DQ franchise) suing for not being credited could be true?

I haven't discovered the dub until I saw a deleted Wikipedia article on the anime and I found the episodes on YouTube back in 2020 and watched them all. That's how I fell in love with the series. A character that I really liked is Daisy, who is a swordswoman and is afraid of mice! I looked up the English dub cast and I wasn't familiar with some of them but I got to learn more of their roles.

I did some research, sending some of the cast members an email. I did send Marcy one last year, I think. But she never responded. However, I tried a second time, thinking that her email isn't active. But I was... surprised! A day after I sent the email asking for an interview, she sent me a message. I was squealing to myself. The rest... well, they never responded. But I could reach out to them in the future, but it will be difficult. 

Marcy hasn't done voice acting since 2018 due to an injury but she is slowly recovering from it. Her last role is Auntie Applesauce from MLP: Friendship is Magic. 


When I brought up Dragon Warrior to her, she says that she vaguely remembered the role, so I sent her an episode uploaded on YouTube. 

We made plans on when and what time we would interview and on Thursday, September 27th at 10am, I called her and we talked. She was amazing and I told her I always wanted to be a voice actress, so she gave me some advice. I am still preparing, learning more on how to really get into it as I have been practicing voices and uploading that practice on my socials, and people seem to like it. It's not great, but I am working on it! 

I hope you enjoy this interview. I recorded the audio from my iPad as I have been dealing with computer issues (I have been using this surface since 2019 and the bottom of the screen has been flickering every now and then, plus Chrome has been freezing and crashing rarely), so I apologize if the quality of the audio isn't good. Again, I was nervous to call her, but I faced my fears!

And it's been a while since I've done an interview because the last time I did one was in High School, where it was a requirement for my English class. Boy, I didn't like it but fast forward to now... I might do more interviews in the future. Heck, you can interview me if you like and ask me voice acting or artist questions!


Apologies as I have been busy this week with my English and History online classes. My blog has been dying and I have been trying to push my posts out there. I've also been coming back to my WordPress, but I despise that site because you need to pay... I don't feel like paying, but a lot of people use it than this site.

If you enjoyed this interview, feel free to donate, ask for an art commission, or simply comment! Comments help me a lot as I have gotten 0 on my posts. Thank you for the support, and kudos!

I'm so happy that I got to talk to Daisy's English VA!!! Sending some prayers for her to recover. 💙

Marcy isn't active on social media. She does have a Facebook and Instagram, but both are inactive. It is explained in the interview near the end.



Update: Forgot to update this post last week. I did a drawing of Daisy for Marcy and she loved it and said that I'm very talented! 🤩


Update (3/27/23): I updated the videos to match the video that I will be uploading on my YouTube channel in April - this might be a back up in case my channel is gone. They now have subtitles! Part one had personal info, so I edited it to now censor the information. Still, enjoy! Note: auto subtitles might not be accurate.

Comments

Note/Disclaimer

Please, if resharing my works, credit me as wimbearn or by real name Arnezia. You can also ask me for permission. If my art is found uncredited, please remind me and do tell the person to credit me (contact is in "about me" page or the "contact wimbearn" page). I draw fanart, which is original and non-official and characters from existing franchises in the fanart belong to the original copyright holder. However, original art and characters belong to me.